I speak at conferences, seminars and working groups on various aspects of translation, in the in-house setting, in particular as a translator directly embedded into the supervisory setting. I am also happy to moderate sessions at conferences (either single or multiple presentations, panel discussions, or World Cafe (Weltcafe) format sessions).
Future events I am speaking at:
Currently I am working on some abstracts and presentations for future conferences!
Past events that I have spoken at:
Winter Translation Forum 2022 (WTF22)
organised by BP Translation Conference
7-9 December 2022
Short talk: Using Trados Quality assurance (QA) tools in Trados can be used for example to check that the terminology used corresponds to that in a Termbase. More tools to help with inclusive language
Translation and Interpreting 4.0 – New Ways in the Digital Age
organised by the German Federal Association of Interpreters and Translators (BDÜ) 22-24 November 2019
Paper: Appears as a chapter in the conference volume: Übersetzen und Dolmetschen 4.0: Neue Wege im Digitalen Zeitalter / Translating and Interpreting 4.0: New Ways in the Digital Age” ISBN: 9783946702122
Building New Skills for Financial Translators
organised by the Joint Vienna Institute (JVI) 30 Nov. – 3 Dec. 2015
Presentation: Language Services at the FMA, a party of one
Forthcoming events I am chairing sessions at:
Currently looking for potential sessions in 2024.
Past events I have chaired sessions at:
European Trados User Group 2023 Conference
Vienna, 26-27 September 2023
Conference Agenda (Chaired sessions on LanguageWeaver Edge and Terminology in Acolada with Trados and a World Cafe session on plugins)
European Trados User Group 2022 Conference
Online, 14-15 September 2022
Session on incorporating eTranslation in Trados workflows
The following areas are ones that I speak on as well as write about on LinkedIn and in my blog.
- In-house translation in the data-driven era
- Single person language service units (A Single-Person Language Services Unit (SPLSU) is an in-house language services unit consisting of a single dedicated employee. More)
- Financial and legal translation (specialising in banking supervision)
- Accessibility means ensuring that there are no barriers for preventing interaction with websites or documents. Ensuring an accessible website is now mandatory under law for the public sector. In making a page or document accessible, I frequently have to: • Add image descriptions to graphic elements used in non-decorative manners. • Ensure the logical hierarchy of the document (e.g. heading More and inclusive language
- New work
- Expert/linguist in the lead or MITL workflows
- Translation workflows in conjunction with content management systems
- Macros and Regular expressions for translators are useful search tools for finding (and on occasion replacing) complex strings of characters. They can be used for ensuring consistent formatting, isolating cells of a certain format, and also for converting parts of TUs into non-translatable tags. More.